Wednesday, 17 September 2008

Celebrating Mom and Sisterhood

This is my mother--more than a year ago on my wedding day. Last Thursday was her birthday. Growing up, birthdays have been a sweet delight. My parents were not too fancy about celebrating birthdays... especially their own. As their daughters, we frequently forget their birthdays, actually... sad confession here. Why you ask? Well, because both my parents' birthdays go by the lunar calendar. So my sisters and I often miss their birthdays or celebrate the wrong date because we get mixed up with the different calendars. No excuse, I know. :P

But here is a public declaration of love to my mother!
Here are top 5 things i love about my mother and hope to become more like my mother:
1. her compassion:
My mother has the biggest heart I know. I appreciate her heart of compassion for others, stray animals.
2. her quirkyness:
Campbell would say that I inherited this trait in aces. So I probably already am like her in this regard. Questions for details of how? You can email me. I have stories. Or... Campbell has stories. ;)
3. her devotion to the Lord:
My mother is one of the biggest intercessors I know. She prays... a lot! She prays until our dinner gets cold and then my dad is like... hmm this is good, but can we eat now? :) HAHA. And growing up, one of my fondness memories include praying with my mother for our family and relatives... and extended relatives and friends, and so on and on. :)
4. her devotion to our family:
She has made tremendous sacrifices for us. From leaving a great paying job in Asia to starting over in the States, she has overcome much for the sake of her family. Now, growing older, realizing more and more how hard and how selfless you have to be to mother three daughters. And now having all her daughters out of the house and married, she still makes sacrifices for us. Mommy, we love you!
5. her dedication to excellence:
My mother has exemplified persistance and determination in her pursuit of excellence. She shows integrity and character in work and life. When she immigrated to the States, she realized she needed more training. So as an older/middle aged woman, she went back to school. She worked during the day and went to UCLA extension during the evening to get an accounting degree. I didn't realized how difficult it was, since it was in her second language and how much I gave her flack for not being at home at night. She did it for us. But she also proved she can do it. "The mind is the biggest tool if you use it" is what she taught me.

Mom, I love you and hope that God will continue to give me grace to be like you. :) The quirky Prov. 31 woman. :) Your child sing praises about you!

As I celebrate my mom, it is also fitting that I celebrate the other women in my life. I am a blessed woman with many treasured friends. And with each of the sister in my life, I am thankful to have such special connections.

The following picture is done by the talented and anointed artist, Daniel Bastke. His wife, Andrea, and another darling sister-friend, Beth, are beautiful women. All three of us got to wear the same qipao for our wedding photos. I think it's the woman that makes the dress. And it really shows in this picture. We all wore the same dress and yet it comes out in such different ways. :)

I am honored to share this dress with these sisters. :)

Beth, you go, girl! Rooting for you!! Beth is getting married with Mr. Leo Wei!
And Drea, you go too. Almost 8 months of honeymoon-ing! :)

5 comments:

Andrea said...

What a beautiful entry for your most beautiful mama. Happy Birthday! And thanks for the sweet sister heart hug :) I just loved your mom's qipao :)

Adele said...

I didn't realize Linda's your mom-in-law! How cool. Connecting all the dots at ORTV (globally) never ceases to amaze me.

Macchiatto said...

What a sweet entry! And oh wow I love the qipao photo!

Linda said...

Thank you sisters for your sweet words. Adele, thanks for reading! Yes, do you know my mom, Jennifer Way? :)

Marcia said...

I would have sworn the girl on the left was Amy! Huh. You all look beautiful. You've got a little "attitude" look going on, Linda. Love it! And I think it's cool what you shared about your mom. I'm sure she was really touched.